About the Organisation
In India 2%, one in every 50, over 26 million people, suffer silently with their intellectual disability (ID). Individuals with intellectual disabilities have impaired intellectual functioning (such as learning, problem solving, judgement) as well as adaptive functioning (activities of daily life such as communication and independent living).
Jai Vakeel Foundation is the oldest and largest non-profit serving children with Intellectual Disabilities and caters to over 3000 individuals annually, across varying age groups and varying levels of intellectual and other associated disabilities such as autism, epilepsy, cerebral palsy and visual or hearing impairment.
Job Role: Speech Therapist
To assess, diagnose, treat speech and communication difficulty or disorder and develop, maintain, rehabilitate or augment oral motor or communicative functions through individualized or group therapy.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Conduct assessment to diagnose the cause and level of speech and communication difficulty and disorder.
- Create and implement suitable treatment/therapy plans and revise the same as and when needed for various levels of speech, language and communication problems, and with those who have swallowing, drinking or eating difficulties.
- To conduct individual as well as group therapy sessions.
- Guide and counsel parents and caregivers on dealing with the disorders and train them on implementing the programme at home.
- To help individuals with communication difficulties using AAC such as PECS and Makaton and other AAC Aids.
- To incorporate use of speech therapy apps in Speech Therapy.
- The role can involve working with a diverse individuals group, including people with physical, intellectual disabilities, hearing loss/deafness., Autism Spectrum disorder, and other disorders.
- To work as part of a multidisciplinary team, alongside other health professionals such as pediatrician ,Pediatric Neurologist ,, Clinical psychologist , OT , PT ,psychiatrist, special educator etc.
- Document and update student/patient records (assessment, diagnosis, progress, treatment etc.)
- Prepare reports as and when required
- Attend the rural medical camps conducted by Jai Vakeel Foundation in Maharashtra
- To conduct training programmes for parents as and when required.
Desired Candidate Profile
Post Graduation - Post Graduate-Other
Masters in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology
Ability to work with a multi-disciplinary team
Working with children with intellectual disabilities an added advantage