Jhpiego is hiring for the position of WASH Specialist based at New Delhi. The position will work closely with the India Country Office and state office teams for implementation of the project focusing on promoting healthy hygiene behaviors among targeted communities.
This position requires technical expertise in WASH and community engagement strategies, strong coordination skills, an understanding of Indian public health system and ability to develop positive, professional working relationships with various government counterparts and other development partners. This position reports to the Deputy Chief of Party- NISHTHA and is a fixed-term position till September 2023.
• Work closely with national team to develop program strategy, implementation plan and project monitoring framework
• Work closely with state teams to develop, implement, monitor state specific WASH project activities including development of roadmaps, work-plans, activities, reports etc.
• Provide timely and comprehensive perspective to inform WASH policy and program development, planning, management and implementation. Keep abreast of WASH sector development trends, for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in programme design, management and implementation.
• Backstop intervention states in providing technical assistance for integration of WASH activities at Ayushman Bharat-Health & Wellness Centres (HWCs) and School Health and Wellness Program (SHWP) platforms
• Support the national and state level teams in implementing and strengthening community engagement efforts through different interventions in comprehensive primary healthcare (CPHC) program
• Develop a community engagement strategy for NISHTHA with focus on building resilience of communities/villages for any public health emergencies
• Support the states in undertaking needs assessment and landscaping of existing community engagement models in primary healthcare space, especially with regards to vulnerable populations
• Support in developing/designing/implementing community engagement and social accountability models in comprehensive primary healthcare (CPHC) space
• Work closely with communication team for providing technical inputs for implementation of development of IEC & BCC activities to promote hygiene practices in the targeted populations.
• Work with Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team at national level in formulation of the WASH outcome and output results, related indicators, baselines, targets and means of verification to ensure state and donor requirements are met.
• Meet regularly with MoHFW officials and state Government/National Health Mission (NHM) officials for smooth project management in the state and respond to the requests in a timely manner
• Facilitate in providing technical inputs in development of annual NHM Program Implementation plan (PIP) for implementation of WASH component through AB-HWCs and SHWP platforms
• Facilitate establishment of an innovative ecosystem for incubating and testing local solutions to promote healthy hygiene behaviors among communities and Schools
• Facilitate project activities including trainings, on-site coaching, workshop planning, logistics planning and management to ensure smooth project implementation
• Backstop and guide the program team to develop and produce documents like situation analysis reports, assessment reports, success stories, gap analysis plans, procurement plans etc. as per the program need and local context
• Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic materials on WASH for senior leadership, donors, and other stakeholders
• Represent Jhpiego at national and state-level meetings involving government and development partners
• Frequent travel to the state and districts as per the project and organizational requirements
• Work to ensure efficient and effective administrative operations, maximizing the input and support of other Jhpiego staff and consultants as appropriate
• Perform other activities, as assigned by the supervisor to achieve organizational goals
hpiego offers highly dynamic and enabling work environment and provides competitive compensation based on experience and background. Interested candidates should submit their application with a covering note to email@example.com
Due to high volume of applications, only shortlisted applicants will receive a response from Jhpiego HR.
• Strong technical knowledge and demonstrated expertise in WASH
• Strong written and oral communication skills in English and Hindi
• Proficiency in developing technical and programmatic materials and reports including project strategic approaches and implementation plans
• Ability to develop productive working relationships with other agencies, development and technical partners and national/ state government counterparts
• Strong advocacy and networking skills
• Ability to work with diverse technical team
• Ability to multi task and work under multicultural environment
• Ability to handle a variety of assignments under pressure of deadlines
• Proficiency in computers – Microsoft Office
• Ability and willingness to travel up to 40 % of his/her time
Qualifications/Knowledge and Experience:
• Masters in Social work, public health / PG diploma is a must
• Around 5-8 years of work experience in WASH sector is a must
• Technical knowledge and field experience in designing and implementing large scale WASH and public health programs especially in the areas of community engagement, healthy hygiene behaviors, and behavior change models
• Familiarity with the National Flagship programs on water, sanitation and Indian health system, newer initiatives in WASH and health sector and relevant government policies/strategies
• Previous experience of working in USAID supported programs, community engagement initiatives or working with local implementing NGO partners will be an added advantage