Job Description: The district coordinator oversees all the activities under the Swaach Vidyalaya Programme in a district. This project aims to scale up the Government’s commitment towards School Sanitation by covering all the government rural schools with proper sanitation facilities, promoting health and hygiene activities, and increasing girl students’ attendance in these schools. 25 government schools under each district of Tripura- Dhalai, Unakoti and North Tripura are to be covered under the project. This position requires supervisory and managerial skills, including direct project management experience preferably a WASH project.
• Coordinate and work with District School Authorities for the identification and finalisation of Government Schools for implementing Swachh Vidyalaya Project in the District
• Implement the construction of pre-designed Sanitation facilities in consultation with the School authorities, Parents’ Teachers’ Association
• Start, implement, and monitor WASH project activities appropriate to specific sectors of the school, e.g. children, teachers and community members.
• Facilitation of the Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach through which WASH activities can be implemented (Mobilisation of the school and community representatives for participation in the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of WASH facilities and services).
• Identification of key hygiene practices (gender sensitive) to be addressed and sectors of the population including community representatives and government stakeholders with whom to engage and define an appropriate communications strategy to promote safe practices.
• Design and plan activities to reduce these risks with reference to physical, behavioural, cultural, economic, social and gender aspects.
• Contribute towards the development of programme implementation approaches, strategies and the overall State Programme Strategy
• Ensure technical and programmatic quality of the project, including timely completion of targets
• Train School teaching faculty, School Management Associations and Students on WASH on a periodic basis so that a sustainable approach to “WASH” is imbibed by these school community
Education, skills and experience
• Based out in Tripura, willing to travel to project sites in the districts from time to time for supervision and ensuring quality.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Community Health, Water and Sanitation Engineering or diploma in civil engineering or related fields with good communication skills
• Minimum 2 years experience in initiation, planning and implementation of WASH projects according to internal and national guidelines, agreements and international standards
• Knowledge and experience in working with State and District Government Authorities
• Strong administrative and management skills with a willingness to follow relevant policies and procedures
• Proven ability to use MS Office; knowledge of data management and analysis is desirable
• Good communication skills, including the ability to simply present complex technical information
• Ability to understand and integrate gender issues within a conservative environment and a post-conflict setting
• Fluency in written and spoken English is desirable; knowledge of Bengali and other applicable local languages is a must.
• Ability to work well under pressure and in response to changing needs
• Monitoring and documenting skills
Location: Dhalai, Unakoti, North Tripura, Tripura
Graduation - Graduate-Other