Counseling and Behaviour Change Communication
1. The counsellor is responsible for taking individual and group sessions on HIV/AIDS, STI, safe sex and injecting practices, prevention of abscesses, overdose prevention, drug treatment options, OST, etc.
2. The counsellor also shall engage in family counselling.
3. Demonstrate condom use, counsel on condom negotiation skills.
4. The counsellor shall also be responsible for motivating the clients for regular General Medical Checkups, referral of clients to ICTC, STI clinic, ART, etc.
5. The counsellor shall also be responsible for orientation of ORWs on counselling techniques and coordinate the outreach based BCC and psychosocial support activities.
6. The counsellor shall also look into the counselling requirement of female sex partner and spouses of IDUs and motivating them to avail the HIV related services (STI treatment, ICTC, etc).
7. In addition, s/he shall develop the BCC materials suitable for local context, follow-up clients both in DIC and in the field and maintain records as per prescribed formats.
8. The counsellor would be responsible for identifying individual or group motivators or inhibitors which require to be addressed for health seeking behaviours, condom use, decline in sharing the needles/syringes, decline in domestic or group violence, addressing issues related to self-esteem, communitisation of groups etc.
9. Using the above areas the counsellor would guide the outreach team to have specific need based BCC sessions to address these issues.
10. The Counsellor would be responsible for management of clinics especially record keeping, management of the patient flow, visit to the clinic sites or preferred providers and dispensing of medicines.
11. The counsellor in coordination with M&E assistant cum Accountant would identify the hotspots or sites with low service uptake, increasing defaulters – prepare outreach and visit plan to conduct hotspot level meeting.
12. The counsellor along with ORWs would prepare a plan to improve linkage with ICTCs / FICTCs ensuring sharing of line listing of referred clients from TI to ICTC, maintenance of referral cards and referral registers.
13. The counsellor along with M&E assistant cum Accountant would ensure timely reporting of condom stocks, OST medicine stocks, STI and other general medicine stocks to DAPCU, SACS, TSU or TSG as per requirements.
14. The counsellor will participate in site validation process and would update the site validation and quarterly line listing of HRGs of the project along with M&E assistant cum Accountant.
15. The counsellor will participate in stakeholder meeting and would prepare a stakeholder engagement plan to ensure that the issues related to BCC and service uptake is associated.
16. Ensure collection of used needles and syringes in a IDU TI and bio-medical waste management as per the required guidelines.
17. Disposal of clinic or health camp wastes as per the recommended guidelines.
18. The Counsellor to travel to the project area for providing services in the field. The counsellor should visit the field for about 10-12 days in a month.
19. The counsellor shall also engage with providers of social welfare services and facilitate linkage with social welfare services.
• Report to PM of the project.
• Provide data / information required for preparation of reports.
• Prepare at least 12 case records in the prescribed format and conduct risk management plan for HRGs or their regular clients.
• Maintain / ensure records on referrals to other services, patients register, follow up register, referrals cards, reconciliation of referral cards, patient cards, condom stock and issue register, needle and syringe stock and issue register, bio-medical waste management register, medicine stock and issue register, social marketing of condoms register or any other documents as per requirements.
• Supervision and Monitoring Skills, Team Building Skills, Good listening skills, Case-record compilation, Risk assessment and management plan, Condom demo-re-demo, Lubricants, Basics of STI and HIV/AIDS, Basics of NSEP/OST programme, Community based monitoring and rapport building, advocacy and networking, clinical record maintenance.
Norms: For, IDU TIs with the target of 200 & 400 population one ANM will also look into the counselling requirements of the TIs. There will be no counsellor for such projects.
MSW + Computer Knowledge
Location: Agar Malwa, Madhya Pradesh