The Tata Institute for Genetics and Society (TIGS) is a partnership between the University of California San Diego, the India-based philanthropic Tata Trusts and the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine (InStem) in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. TIGS is funded by a generous gift from the Tata Trusts, which are among India's oldest, non-sectarian philanthropic organizations that have established several of India’s leading institutions, such as the Indian Institute of Science, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Tata Memorial Hospital and many other institutions of national and international importance. The overarching goal of TIGS is to advance global science and technology research in a socially conscious and ethical manner to ultimately find solutions to address some of the world’s most pressing issues, ranging from public health to agriculture.
TIGS maintains operations on the UC San Diego campus (TIGS‐UC San Diego) and at the Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine (inStem), within the campus of the National Center for Biological Sciences (NCBS), in Bangalore, India.
To know more about it, please visit- http://tigs.ucsd.edu/
SENIOR MANAGEMENT TEAM
1. Manoj Kumar, Co-founder and CEO, Social Alpha
2. Ramalingam Balaji, Head of Finance, Social Alpha
3. Raghava Kumar Molluru, Head of HR and Admin, Social Alpha
REASON FOR THE HIRE
The incumbent is expected to provide leadership to the Finance Department, evaluate, design and develop the financial strategies for the organization along with mentoring the team members. He/she would be expected to develop and maintain a prudent financial and accounting system, prepare and present, in addition to basic accounting/ financial reports, financial management information reports to stakeholder(s). The Head Finance will independently handle the entire Finance function of the organization and should also be commercially wise and aware, advising on the best path of growth for TIGS.
He/She also has to oversee and enforce all required statutory compliances and maintain liaison with financial service providers according to the policies of the organization.
STRUCTURE AND ROLE DETAILS
- Reporting to the Head of TIGS.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Accounting and Finance: Inclusive of following, but not limited to:-
- Budgeting / Monitoring / Forecasting / Periodical review / Course correction / Internal Controls /
- Ensure Accurate and Timely updation of accounting records by the department / team
- Actively involve on day to day operations to ensure effective monitoring of financial matters
- Cash / Funds management / proper utilization of funds to ensure best returns on surplus funds on hand / bank
- Establish & monitor monthly accounts closing process, draft / design reporting templates as per needs of different stakeholders, ensure timely submission of the reports
- Oversee, monitor and manage the Accounts Payable function / negotiate with vendors for better terms, credit / timely settlements to vendors to ensure relationship & continuity of operations
- Liase with consultants, tax experts, CA firm(s) closely on matters relating to taxation, reporting, audit etc – with specific referent to taxation of trusts
- Actively coordinate with HR department relating to payments of employee salaries, consultants fees etc.,
2. Internal Controls and Governance
- Establish Standard Internal Financial Process, Guidelines and Manua
Desired Candidate Profile
Post Graduation - CA
- C.F.A/ C.A/ ICWA or MBA in finance.
- Minimum 12 years of experience within the finance function of a professional organization, prior experience of setting up the function is preferable.
- Good relationship management abilities / negotiation skills with external and internal stakeholders both within the network and outside.
- Experience of working in a dynamic multidisciplinary team environment. Experience in dealing with the international environment will be an advantage.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English along with excellent computer skills and knowledge about existing financial IT packages.
- Experience in handling Trust Accounts, Compliance, Taxation will definitely be a factor to decide on the candidate.