The Science Director provides strategic technical, scientific and monitoring and evaluation leadership and acts as a subject matter expert (SME) and Senior Scientist. They supervise and manage a team of three staff providing expertise across a range of disciplines to the programs team (focused on freshwater conservation, land related climate solutions and nature-linked cities infrastructure).
The Science Director advises Senior Leaders and Managers on broad and complex aspects of science based initiatives. They develop and monitor the implementation of a strategic science vision for applied Conservation Science that is aligned with The Nature Conservancy’s Global Challenges Global Solutions Framework. The Science Director directly supervises Head, GIS, and an Ecological Economistand works closely with Director of Programs and individual program team members to ensure scientific rigor in work plans and projects. The Science Directoralso conducts original research and publishes findings to add to the body of Conservation Science knowledge and supports TNC-India’s organizational goals.
Resposibilities & Scope:-
1. Work across TNC-India’s program priorities, director of programs,and thematic program and project leads to integrate sound science.
2. Collaborate with the science community to enhance the conservation practices of TNC-India’s projects including its partners and help establish TNC as a leader in Conservation Science.
3. Resolve large-scale, complex problems through systematic and thorough studies.
4. Propose strategy and implement procedures to enhance scientific performance in accordance with short and long-term objectives or program leaders.
5. Manage staff including setting their performance objectives and supporting their development and rating.
6. Identify, cultivate and solicit major donors in support of program activities.
7. Persuasively convey the mission of TNC to diverse groups including major donors, corporate executives, board members and others critical to the organizational overall prosperity.
8. Ability to travel up to 50% in India and internationally and may work in variable weather conditions at remote locations, hazardous terrain and/or under physically demanding circumstances.
HOW to APPLY
To apply to position # 47274 visit www.nature.org/careers and submit resume and cover letter. The application deadline is February 17th, 2019. If you experience technical problems with the site or application process, please contact email@example.com and include the job opening ID.
Desired Candidate Profile
Post Graduation - Post Graduate-Other
1. PhD with experience of 10 years and above
2. Experience advancing science from research to application on the ground and/or in policies.
3. Experience developing measurement and evaluation frameworks for projects.
4. Experience working in different regions of India and/or internationally.
5. Knowledge of Hindi and/or other regional languages.
6. Multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
7. Strong knowledge of common software applications.
8. Ability to formulate and evaluate broad policies.
9. Ability to make independent decisions based on incomplete or ambiguous information and accepts associated risks.
10. Strong strategic thinker and advanced analytical ability.
11. Ability to develop work plans and project budgets.
12. Ability to network extensively in scientific communities and maintain strong relationships.